Grandma and Grandpa Hoogeveen graciously took us to the Sioux City airport on Monday, November 5. We were able to eat lunch with them and then they helped me drop off my checked bags at the airport. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! Carsten had a great time running around in the tiny airport, and once security opened it's ONE line we zipped right into the two-gate terminal. Yes, it's small :). Carsten did great on the flight and slept for part of the flight in his car seat. Once we got to O'Hare I retrieved our bags and had to break down a pay $4 (really?!) for a luggage cart to get all our gear to the bus for the rental car. Sigh. The nice man on the rental car bus handled all my luggage and helped me get into the car rental place. Yay for nice people! We got our Nissan Altima rental car after about 30 min, and I was very happy with how it drove. Now I have to just insert that Chicago and I will never be friends. Every time I went anywhere it was in a traffic jam (to the hotel, from the hotel to the aquarium, and from the aquarium to O'Hare). I despise traffic jams. I despise taking 2-3xs longer to get to my destination.
Anyway, once Carsten got to the hotel we brought our stuff into the room and then got some Panera Bread for supper (YUM!). We got to see Nicky and her boys for a few minutes before I had to send Carsten to bed, but we got to spend a lot more time with them in the morning at the hotel since we were all up before 6:30 am. Nicky and I got to chat while the boys watched 'Bob the Builder' (yay for friend time!). Once I got packed up again, we rounded up our boys and headed to the Shedd Aquarium for the day. We were not aware that it was a community day (so IL residents get in free) so it was BUSY, but we still enjoyed ourselves a lot. I think Carsten, Colin, and Connor all had a lot of fun seeing the different fish, but I'm guessing the highlight for all of them was the play area level where they could play in water, do some slides and climbing, and play in a pretend submarine. I know that Carsten especially loved the submarine since it had a 'digger' arm in the front that you could move with levers. We actually ended up going there twice in the afternoon because he did such a good job of playing. My good friends Corrie and Maureen arrived during lunch and I got to talk with them during the afternoon as well as meet Corrie's new son, Clive, who is quite the cutie pie. I appreciated getting to see and catch up with all these lovely ladies (and boys!) - thanks to everyone for meeting me at Shedd! Here's photos from the day:
 |
| Carsten, Connor, and Colin watching 'Bob the Builder' |
 |
| Carsten and Connor being cute :). |
 |
| The 4D movie of Ice Age was way too scary for Carsten - we had to leave. Poor kiddo. |
 |
| Nicky and her boys were able to watch though :). |
 |
| Maureen!!! |
 |
| Cutie Clive. |
 |
| Corrie!!!!!! |
 |
| Playing in water. |
 |
| Playing in the submarine. |
Great job doing all of that crazy-ness by yourself, mama! You are awesome!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of Carsten and Connor together! I think the traffic was terrible also because Tuesday was Election Day and Obama was in Chicago.
ReplyDeleteWow!! So much more fun... glad you were able to see bunches of friends and Carsten had some kids to play with :o)
ReplyDelete