I think I must look Swiss, or at least, I look like I know what I'm doing and I appear approachable. On a fairly regular basis, I get asked directions. Most of the time they ask in Swiss-German, and then switch to German. When I ask if they speak English, mostly I get an emphatic 'nein'. I generally try to give what I feel is an apologetic look, and then keep pushing Carsten in the stroller. I really should start keep track of how many times I get asked - I think it's about 1x per week.
Does anyone think I look Finnish? A lady at the gym asked me (in English!) this week if I was from Finland. When I said no, I'm from the states, she said 'you just look so Finnish!'. I then explained the my ancestors came from the Netherlands and Germany, she seemed to understand my blue eyes and blonde locks :). We talked for a while, which was pretty nice. She's apparently been here for a while and is an expat from Finland. Yay for meeting people :).
That's wonderful, you must fit in quite well :) I'm never asked for directions unless I'm out of town, and don't know my way around!
ReplyDeleteI think you look like a Noogs!
ReplyDeleteI bet people always ask you for directions because you look so nice and sweet!! Guess you'll have to learn your way around and maybe a bit of German ;o)