Monday, May 30, 2011

moderate nap successes

Last week marked a significant breakthrough in Carsten's napping patterns. Up until then he typically took 3-30 min naps throughout the day which typically involved some crying before each nap. I had been trying to do a routine involving eat-play-sleep which encouraged eating to occur after his naps. Last week, through some changes in wake up times, I started feeding him before his naps which started resulting in a consistent 1.5 hr nap. One of these naps alone represented the entire amount of sleep for 3 naps previously, so this was a significant improvement. By the end of the week, we had gotten to a morning and afternoon 1.5-2 hr nap schedule. I didn't write anything about it last week because every time I write something it changes, so as you're probably guessing, it didn't work today, so I thought I'd write about our restful week :). I will say that I think Carsten seems more well-rested and even happier most of the time, which is quite nice. And to all of you lucky parents whose children have always had great naps, I envy you for all those months we've missed already. I think we'll continue to struggle with naps, but for now, I'm employing the eat-sleep-play paradime to see if I can get consistently longer naps. Also, I'm not sure if this is helping, but I've started covering him with a blanket when he's asleep. It's so hard to say what works and what doesn't.

Here's some photos of Carsten playing outside our apartment last week:

just looking around.
The wind was doing cute things to his hair :).
When the wind came up, he kept looking around as if to say 'Where is that coming from?'. It was quite cute :).
If you look closely in this photo you can see his first tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment