It's been cloudy/foggy or raining for the last week with temperatures around freezing, so it hasn't been very fun to get out of the house for a walk with Carsten. Yesterday, it was finally sunny! So Carsten and I ran some errands downtown and took a walk. We began our errands at Rhyner, which is sort of the local hardware and home electronics store and is located under the Migros. After we got a couple of things at Rhyner, we took the elevator up to Migros, which is the largest grocery store in town and is typically where we go to get groceries (about a 6 block walk). Carsten was amazing through both of these errands and he just enjoyed looking around, and to be honest, I really never even heard a peep out of him. This was nice for me because I could spend some time looking for items in Migros that I usually have to bypass when he's getting antsy (like freezer bags, which are located right before check-out). Lately, I've been taking our really old, small digital camera with me on walks in case I want to take some photos, but I haven't had a chance to take some pictures before this between the weather and Carsten. So... here are some photos & a video from our afternoon!
 |
| We have quite a few flowers that have been out for about 2-3 weeks now, which makes the landscape very pretty. And, it also makes me think about people back home who would love to see the flowers such as Mom Huisman, Mom Hoogeveen, Grandma Hoogeveen, and Grandma Ranschau. |
 |
| Carsten in his stroller. Love his expression :) |
This video is of the beautiful Reformed church downtown. These bells were ringing at 10 minutes to 2 pm and I can't quite figure out when they ring the bells (other than to keep time). I frequently hear these bells at very odd times and they typically go on for 5-10 minutes. There were some people walking into the building, so maybe they had a service of some sorts. However, I will say that I'm glad we live a few blocks away because they are LOUD. Also, the bells seem to ring non-stop on Sundays, which makes me think that people are either going to church or are at church all day long.
 |
| On our way back from errands, we walk past this fountain & the building in the background in the library. All fountains in Switzerland are potable, so all you need is a waterbottle and there's generally plenty of water to be found. |
 |
| This is a close up of the sidewalk. I must admit that I try to plan my walking routes in town with the most brick sidewalks because sometimes it results in... |
 |
| ...a sleeping baby! He loves motion and bumpy roads (we miss our car and Madison roads for this reason :) ). As Carsten slept, I took the opportunity to take some photos around Egg as we walked home. |
 |
| This is a picture of some of the downtown buildings. Quaint, right? You can also see the ridge in background. |
 |
| Our commuter train! This is the Egg train station; we actually use the next stop up that's closer to our house. |
 |
| Downtown Egg. Yep, that's it. :) |
 |
| View of one of the town streets. |
 |
| This the square that has another small grocery store and the post office. Note the brick sidewalk... |
 |
| I believe there's a meat market here, and the sign always reminds me of our friends Kayt and Kurt Frisch in Madison :). |
 |
| Yep. There's a farm in the center of town. This is located right behind the square with the grocery store in the previous picture. |
 |
| One of the cute houses I always walk by. It has a tree growing on it. |
 |
| When we got home, Carsten stayed sleeping in his carseat for a total nap time of 1.5 hours! This is unheard of for him as he usually wakes up within 10 minutes of getting home, no matter how long he's been sleeping and his usual nap time is 30 min. Needless to say, I was thrilled! However, when he woke up, he was a very hot baby due to the carseat and extra insulation we have in there for winter walking. So, I took off his clothes and let him play - he was so happy about it! This is Carsten's play area in fine form...he loves his toys :). |
Anyway, that was most of our afternoon yesterday! I'm enjoying our Swiss country town, and I should tell you that it
is country as we do see tractors and horses around town. Hopefully you all like picture intensive posts because honestly, I think that's my favorite way to blog. :)
They ring the church bells for weddings and for funerals and other special services.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great pictures! I'd like to see one of your building sometime, too! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures! I think you should try riding some horses in town :o)
ReplyDeleteI say picture blogs are excellent! Sometime you'll have to get someone to take a picture of you, too! Who is the woman behind the camera... ;-)
ReplyDelete