Sometimes I think Carsten just lives to prove me wrong, seriously! Frequently, when I think 'he always does this' or 'surely he won't do this', he just proves me wrong. For example, the other day Kim was asking me advice about bedtime routine, and I distinctly remember saying 'I ALWAYS feed him after bathtime right before bed'. And what do you know, that night, he didn't want to eat for the first time. And you know what, he slept just fine and only got up once at 4:30 am. So what do you know, he proved me wrong.
Another example that seems to happen almost daily is I think 'he's going to take a long nap' or having resigned myself to the 30 min nap, I think 'well, I can put him down and then he'll definitely be up in time for _____'. This happened yesterday when I put him down for a nap at 5:15 and he'll definitely be up in time for supper at 6 pm. He didn't fall asleep until at 5:45, and I was thinking, that's ok, he'll be up at 6:15 and that will still be fine for supper. So I got all of his meal ready (peas, rice cereal, and bananas), and just waited and waited and waited. He didn't get up until nearly 6:45 pm, which for Carsten, is a MEGA nap. And he only did that after I was CERTAIN that he'd do his typical 20-30 min nap and I was PLANNING on it.
Or another example is when we started feeding him applesauce, we were like, ALL babies love applesauce and since he seems to like his veggies so much, he's just going to devour the applesauce. NOT so. He ate a few bites and proceeded to get a rash, which I think is probably due to the acidity. And he definitely did not seem to like it. So again, proved us wrong.
This type of thing happens far more than I feel it should. Sometimes I try not to voice aloud my 'ALWAYS' thoughts just so he cannot prove me wrong...
Maybe you need to start saying he ALWAYS does bad things... and he will never do those bad things!! :o)
ReplyDeleteAlthough... he sounds too cute to do anything bad!
Children are born to be unpredictable. Every time I think I have Colin figured out, he changes. He's been sleeping great at night, and the days he doesn't nap he falls asleep quickly. Well, yesterday he didn't nap, and didn't fall asleep right away. Then, he woke 2 times during the night and was up for good at 4:30 am. Perhaps he needs to go back to having a nap every day... I guess I never quit trying to figure him out, but realize that he's going to prove me wrong more often than not. Try to embrace the uncertainty, and think what could be the "worst possible scenario" for each instance. I always feel better if I've prepared myself, and come up with contingency plans.
ReplyDeleteCarsten will probably start liking the applesauce after a while, it's just a new flavor and texture. You could always mix it with something he already likes, or try it again in a few weeks. Good luck with eating and napping!