Ok, so here we again learning new things about how the Swiss do things. Last night I spent some time shopping for baby food online (which is better than in the store because I can take my time to translate words instead of just picture shopping). What I learned is this: there are very few single food baby foods and some that are listed as 4 month old food (beginners) contain strawberries & raspberries, which I've always understood to be a 12 month food. The single food items are not what I would have thought of for the most part: apple, pear, chicken, ham, beef, carrots, zucchini, and potato. They have a lot more fruit & veggie medleys than I expected to see, and a lot of 'meals' like complete pasta dishes. For now, it makes me think that introducing single foods every couple of days will be difficult since I will have to very carefully select different medleys. Perhaps what I need to do is get an immersion blender to make some baby food of our own, but the problem with this is that I think I will be doing this all the time (very little freezer & fridge space for large batches). Hmmmmm
Has anyone made their own baby food? And, how much time & freezer space did it take?
http://www.29diapers.com/recipes-for-green-living-on-a-budget/homemade-baby-food-step-by-step/
ReplyDeleteOne of Mo's old housemates recommended this site to me and I really like it. Haven't made baby food yet obviously but I plan to and don't thing it sounds that hard. We have a Magic Bullet... Do they have those in Switzerland ?
So, when Connor was little (and I knew more what I was doing) I just cooked dishes like mashed potatoes, meat, and carrots and mashed it with a fork. It's a little early for that for Carsten, he'll be ok with mainly rice cereal and fruits and soft-cooked veggies for a while yet. My kids still aren't that into meat, but since they love dairy so much they get plenty of protein. And for Carsten, remember the food isn't really for nourishment yet, more for experimenting. So anyway, with Connor we didn't freeze anything or really puree much after he turned 8 mo or so. Then closer to a year, I just gave him what we were eating and made sure it was all small pieces and soft-cooked.
ReplyDelete