On Sunday, Jeff, Amanda, and Andy all went to church on time while I stayed with Carsten until he woke up from his nap. Carsten and I were about 45 min late to church (it's a 1.5 hr service), but it was nice to know that he had good rest and hopefully helped him recover from his cold. He no longer had his fever, which was nice for all of us. After church we got a tiny bit of ice cream that they were selling at the coffee hour, and then we made our way up to Uetliburg, which is up on the ridge just west of Zurich. This is start of the 2ish hour Planetary hike, which we had elected to do for the afternoon. The visibility was great, and we enjoyed seeing the mountains and general scenery. The only downside of the hike was that Carsten never managed to get his afternoon nap in. He didn't sleep in his hiking backpack or the moby wrap, so he just ended up TIRED. Despite being horribly tired, he did pretty well, especially once I stopped trying to get him to sleep :). Here's some photos from our hike:
 |
| Lake Zurich and the Alps in the background. So pretty! |
 |
| Jeff and Amanda! |
 |
| We like our hiking gear! :) |
 |
| This is Carsten NOT sleeping. |
On Monday, Carsten and I elected to stay home in order to try to get him feeling back to normal, and Andy had to go to work. Jeff and Amanda headed to Lucerne after Amanda gave Carsten his very first haircut in the morning (thanks Amanda!). It was time for a haircut as his bangs were touching his eyes if they laid down. Here's an action shot of Carsten's 1st haircut (and yes, I did save a lock of his hair for his baby book :) ):
 |
| Thanks Amanda! |
On Tuesday Andy headed to work while Jeff, Amanda, Carsten, and I went to the Rhein Falls and Stein am Rhein. The falls were picture perfect and it was fun to see them again, and once again, I can't WAIT to bring Andy someday soon :). The only thing marring the day was that Carsten absolutely would not breastfeed in the morning while we were traveling. I think he was too distracted, hot, and by the end hungry. Carsten and I ended up both pretty frustrated for the morning, but in the end, I got him to nurse with the white noise of the falls and he took a short nap while we were walking by the falls, which seemed to do him (and me!) a world of good.
 |
| Rhein Falls! |
 |
| Sleeping baby :). |
 |
| Carsten saying 'hey - I missed that!' :) |
We missed our train to Stein am Rhein by just a couple of minutes, so we waited for a while at the train station for the next train. Here's some photos of Amanda and Carsten having fun!
We finally made it to Stein am Rhein where we were amazed at its cuteness :). We wandered through the time period museum (which Carsten slept through for his afternoon nap - go Carsten!), and we also got to try a few desserts and pastries. We headed home in order to meet Andy for dinner. All in all, it was a great day!
The pictures of the Alps and falls are gorgeous!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing, making the best of sometimes challenging circumstances (tired, hungry baby!) I'm glad to hear you're having fun with your family, and Carsten is such a little cutie.
ReplyDelete