Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Vienna - Day 4

We decided to head downtown to Stephensdom so we could see more of the church and hopefully do a catacomb tour. We arrived in the church just after 9 am, and unfortunately, the next catacomb tour wasn't until 10 am. So, we wandered the church a little bit and decided that we would attempt to do a bit of shopping. Unfortunately most places were not open either, so our 'early morning' attempts at doing things did not go very well. Oh well, we ended up finding a cute Noah's Ark clock for Carsten at this adorable clock store, and we even attempted to shop at H&M (which did not go well). Long story short, we made it back to the church in time for the catacomb tour. In our tour we got to see the burial places of the priests, organs of the Hapsburgs (yes that is correct), a few of the early Hapsburgs, and a mass grave of those who died in the Black Plague (yes, again, that is correct). We didn't know what to expect and it was cool to do the tour, but I have a feeling we won't be doing too many more :). Sorry, we didn't take many photos, but here's one of Carsten admiring a Swarovski window.
He really didn't want to leave this window.
After our tour we walked through the Hofberg palace, and found some cheap lunch before we headed out  to Schonbrunn. We had decided that it would be a perfect place to let Carsten take a nap in his stroller while we got to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Carsten fell asleep right away (in his stroller!), which was sooo nice. We took the opportunity to wander the grounds and take some photos.

Carsten actually sleeping in his stroller.
Pretty.
still sleeping, but not for long.
pretty fountain.
 Carsten woke up after about a 40 min nap. Needless to say, we were hoping for a much longer nap. Oh well. Carsten was actually quite upset when he woke up, so I tried putting him in the carrier to see if I could get him back to sleep. He was starting to make some tired noises, and then Andy made the honest mistake of singing him the song we sing him before bedtime. He started sobbing. Seriously sobbing. And that was the end of our attempts to get him to keep napping.

Sad buddy.
So we headed out to the museum of technology, which was pretty close by to Schonbrunn. This place was Carsten's favorite place of all I think. It had helicopters, airplanes, and trains, and there was a little man who was running around like a crazy person because everything was so AWESOME. We honestly kept going back to the helicopter for about 30 min because he just could not leave it behind. What a kid :). There was also a fun area for kids, and Carsten enjoyed driving a car and a fire truck (both stationary). This afternoon was just what Carsten needed, and it was super fun. Andy and I also enjoyed the museum, especially some of the cool sciency demos :).

'TRAIN!'
driving a car in the kid's area.
Technology is cool.
Anyway, we had a fun day, and I'm pretty sure Carsten would have stayed there forever if we had let him.

4 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that across the hangar where the airplanes were displayed I could hear Carsten saying "a TOP TER" (helicoper). I think we'll be able to hear it on the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how excited Carsten is about the technology museum! My boys loved driving the stationary cars at the kids museum. This past weekend we went to visit Patrick's family, and the boys played with their cousins. There were three battery-powered kid vehicles, and my boys thought they were in heaven. They each fit two, so there were six little boys circling the house at all times. They didn't even fight over whose turn it was to drive! Though I have to say, I'm not ready for Connor to be driving. He might have crashed into my car once... Oh, and what happened to Vienna - Day 3?

    ReplyDelete