Wednesday, August 24, 2011

socialization!

After spending most of our months in Switzerland without seeing many people except our wonderful visitors, we seem to finally be meeting people. I'm not quite sure why it's taken so long, but for my part I'm mostly going to blame our rural location and lack of German language skills. Last week I was able to go meet with other moms from church on two separate days, which was especially good since Andy was gone to Prague. On Saturday evening on our way home from the pool, neighbors from our apartment complex were having a bbq which they graciously invited us to join. It turns out that most of them speak English, which is a blessing! Hopefully this will open the door for hanging out with people in Egg a bit more too.

This week, I have a playdate at the nearby pool with another dad and his daughter who we know through Andy's work. And then on Saturday for the first time ever in Switzerland, we are having people over for lunch (woot!). It's this really nice couple we met at church and they have a beautiful daughter who's just a little younger than Carsten - so it should be a really fun afternoon. And then, to top it all off, we received an invitation from Andy's coworker and his wife to meet them at a movie theatre in Zurich to watch a movie in the evening. Since we still don't have a babysitter here in Egg, Andy graciously offered to stay home for the evening with Carsten while I go to the movie. I have never left Egg in the evening after Carsten has gone to bed, so it'll be a late but fun night! All in all, it's been fun to feel more integrated into Swiss society, and it's a nice blessing for all of us.

Switching gears... I'm not sure how Carsten knows that he's never played with object 'A' before, but he does know and it's pretty fun for me because it's one of the few times that he'll actually sit for a few minutes while he explores the new object. Yesterday I let him play with my pressed penny collection (they're in a book, don't worry) and he really enjoyed getting to open the pages. Here's a few photos:

"How does this work?"
"I must chew on it!"
"Mommy, I love your pressed penny collection!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh Natalie I have been praying for friends for you guys. How wonderful! Have a blast. And like Aunt Bonnie I wish I was there to babysit. I am really looking forward to having you back stateside and seeing your little man in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! I can't wait to kiss that adorable face! (I suppose I am talking about Carsten, but applies to Natalie too...)

    ReplyDelete