Last week marked our concerted effort to transition to 'Carsten's having what we're having' so we could start paying less in baby food. He did a pretty good job and ate things like curry, mushroom pasta, and stir fry meatballs. He seems to really enjoy the different flavors and textures, although I can say that the curry didn't seem to sit the best in his tummy (despite the eager tastebuds). We started out cold turkey at the beginning of the week (so only finger foods), however, we were uncertain that he was getting enough food because he woke up in the middle of the night several times last week. So in order to ensure that we wouldn't see him in the middle of the night we took a more hybrid approach later in the week which seemed to take care of the night wakings (we gave him table food plus a small jar of baby food that we fed him in between finger food bites). This is still making a lot of progress towards eliminating jars of food that we were buying, so instead of 5-6 jars of food per day (~15 CHF) we're down to 1-2 jars per day, which are the cheaper fruit or veggie jars. He's doing a great job of feeding himself with most of his self-feeding enthusiasm going towards trying to eat plums, peaches, nectarines, and melon. I should mention that he really doesn't care too much for feeding himself bite sized pieces of fruit that we meticulously cut up; instead, he would rather eat the fruit straight up and take his own bites, skin and all (except for the melon of course). We find this to be pretty convenient for us, and to be honest, it's pretty great entertainment :). So currently, snack time usually results in him eating 1-2 pieces of fruit all by his onesies (good thing it's summer!). Another change in Carsten's diet is the addition of egg, which we started a week ago. He generally has 1-3 egg yolks with cheese plus fruit for breakfast in the morning, and I think breakfast is his favorite meal of the day. Here's a photo of Carsten eating salmon asparagus spaghetti and another photo of him chowing down on a nectarine:
 |
| Spaghetti face :) |
 |
| 'Mommy, I want to eat it all by myself' |
We had a great weekend as a family, and spent most of our time in Egg at home (you know, cooking, cleaning, groceries, and playing with Carsten :) ). Andy is leaving today for a conference in Prague (no jet lag, yay!), and won't be back until Friday night. I'm excited that he's only gone for business days, which means we still get to have our weekends with him :). I've made tentative plans with another mom from church, so hopefully we'll have some company this week as well :). Here's a photo of Andy putting Carsten in our shopping trolley, which was pretty funny :):
 |
| Best stroller ever! :) |
Here's a photo of Carsten and I since we haven't posted one of those for a while:
 |
| Carsten and I :) |
Wow, I think that you guys are the cutest family. Glad to hear that Carsten is loving food and that things are going well!
ReplyDelete